Fay Fischers Racing History

Her First Car – 1992

drag racinSpeedflow’s owner has driven a number of drag race cars since her racing début at the famous Santa Pod drag strip in 1992. The later cars were emblazoned with the Speedflow logo although her career started with home financed efforts in the old class of “Modified”. This was a class for cars capable of running the 1/4 mile in 11.5 seconds or quicker and attracted huge fields of 30 to 35 cars. The front engine “altered” (pictured above) ran a big block Chrysler with a drive train taken from a 60’s Jensen muscle car. It is pictured at the old Avon Park track where Fay took out two teams from “Pro” division during a Good-Guys shoot-out before rain stopped play.

Now Competitive – 1994

drag raci1994 at Santa Pod, a beautiful sunny August Bank Holiday, a new paint job and a race against Mike Ismail’s radical Citroen. 25 entries in the class forced a pre-race eliminator on the previous night to get the field down to 16 cars. A huge Santa Pod crowd remain on the bank to become engrossed in the regular frantic dogfight that “Modified” had become. Mike runs too quick and Fay moves on to the next round.

A small nitrous oxide kit is added and much weight is removed from the car, It gets a best of 9.6 seconds at 134mph. A couple of event wins brings about the Santa Pod divisional championship before the car is sold.

A Big Step Up – 1995

drag racing 1995 at Santa Pod saw the new car’s debut, shown here with original wide-stance front end and huge front wing which achieved two things, (1) It weighed 22lbs and (2) It triggered the starting line beams. This was later removed in favour of the 2lb version along with a 10 inch reduction in the front tracking. The car could now turn through 180 degrees in less than an acre but was totally unsteerable under power due to the loss of front end weight. A weight bar was then added to ensure the carefully constructed plan came together perfectly!

The car featured an ICE built 516cid Big Block Chevy mated to an “indestructible” JW Ultraglide – which was promptly destroyed! But the car did hit 7.95 seconds at 169mph.

The Super-Pro Wars – 1997

racing The car is now well equipped and has reached a standard of driving which makes the team the least welcomed opponents. Running regular 7.85s at 170mph plus saw some event wins and a top three placing in the National championship. A sponsorship deal was signed with the Big Bus Company, a tour operator in Central London who came on board with financial help and some good engineering backup. Opportunities in other areas began to emerge.

Top Alcohol Racing – 1998

racing Old friends, Mick & Bob Gleadow had teamed with Barry Redstone to put together a budget TAD operation using an ancient chassis and many borrowed bits. A first outing was at the Cannonball event at Santa Pod where she debuted the TAD car and also drove her own Super-Pro car. The TAD made a first full pass of 6.66 seconds at 211mph – much to everyone’s surprise and the team’s relief. That weekend saw a best of 6.47 from the TAD and went on to win the event in the Super-Pro class. Those sort of weekends don’t come around too often. The stress (not to mention the extreme differences in driving technique) saw the Super-Pro car parked for the season despite leading the national championship points race at the time.

A New Top Alcohol car – 1999

racing A near-new TAD was purchased from a retired Finnish team and readied for the 1999 season. The parts were not the latest state-of-the-art kit but everything was there to get the team into the rarefied air of the 5 second zone. Alas, it was never to be. Despite the team having worked every available hour and spending much more money than they should, the old saying of “you can’t buy experience” applied. A lack of real track time and a bewildering set of adjustments for which there was no known “norm” proved beyond the team’s ability to overcome. The car never ran quicker than a 6.33 at 215mph before Fay moved out of the drivers seat and the team was sold on.

Super-Pro Again – Only Bigger!

racing The Super-Pro fields had grown larger and much more competitive, several cars were running deep into the 7 second range, one or two into the sixes! Notably Steve Johnson and the Motormouse dragster. The picture shows It in the left lane at Shakespeare raceway about to hit her dial in dead-on, that – coupled with a .52 light was enough to take the win against Martyn ”Sid” Jones in the final round of a Super Series event.

Later, many of the door cars moved to a new class and it was judged that Super-Pro had possibly seen it’s best days. Her beloved dragster was sold at the end of the 2001 season along with the entire racing operation.